Science GCSE Revision Information
6 November 2019
Science GCSE revision information
In preparation for the school mock exams which start in December and the GCSEs in May, I want to make you aware of the following resources pupils have available to them to help in their preparation.
- Copies of all specification points which pupils should be using as revision checklists to make sure they have revised all points they could be asked questions on. Pupils will have been given these by their teachers. They can also be found in the Curriculum section of the school website.
- Revision guides and workbooks can be bought from the science department. By now all pupils should be in the habit of using their revision guides when preparing for tests. I would highly recommend that pupils buy the workbooks, if they have not already done so, as they provide questions covering the whole course.
- Revision website: seneca. learning.com.This website provides lots of little quizzes to help pupils with their revision. The course is Edexcel GCSE biology, chemistry, physics or the combined sciences.
- Past papers website: https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/. This website has past papers for all the sciences. Make sure to scroll down to the GCSE (9-1) section. Doing past papers and looking at markschemes is essential for success in the exams. As this is a relatively new course that year 11 are preparing for, there is no harm at all if they have a go at exam papers from other exam boards and from the old GCSE or iGCSE sections. All questions are good questions!
- Edexcel website: https://qualifications.pearson.com . This is the exam board website that also has exam papers and sample papers which pupils should practise doing.
- Scientific calculators are needed by all pupils. Up to 30% of the marks on the science papers comes from calculations. Pupils need to be using the calculator in lessons that they will be taking into their exams so that they are very familiar with it. Calculators can be bought from the Maths department.
It is important that students start the process of revision now, in order to be fully prepared before the final exams.
If you have any queries about the above information, do not hesitate to contact your child’s Science teacher or Mrs Shore (email@example.com).
Mrs E Shore
Head of Science
To download a copy of this letter please click here.